RE: [gmf-dev] Build I20060227-1730 posted

Hi Rich,

Before I respond, please confirm I get your proposal right:

GMF N-builds should be built against its dependencies' S-Build and GMF I-Builds should be built against its dependencies' I-Builds. The benefit being we can "learn" about problems early from the I-Build, fix locally and deliver at the end of the milestone. The drawback being we may very well have broken I-Builds until the end of the milestone; at which point GMF N-Build adopts our dependencies' latest S-Build so we can commit the fixes.

    Thanks

       - Fred

_________________________________
Frédéric Plante
Rational Software, IBM Software Group

"Richard Gronback" <Richard.Gronback@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gmf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/01/2006 03:39 PM

Please respond to
"GMF Project developer discussions."

"GMF Project developer discussions." <gmf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [gmf-dev] Build I20060227-1730 posted

Hi Anthony,

Perhaps we have a difference of opinion regarding the purpose of Integration builds?  Milestone builds are more of an interest to clients than Integration builds, imo.  Integration builds are what allow us to produce stable Milestone builds by giving us a chance to adjust to changes in our dependencies.  The week before a Milestone build, like this week, enables us to update our dev targets to the next stable configuration as we approach our Milestone build.  So, we in effect have a week to “kick the tires” using this config before we release the Milestone.  For the 1.0 Release build, we will have a longer period to do so before producing the build.

To do this with greater frequency is certainly possible, and is what we have been doing for the past few weeks.  The only difference being that you are proposing we delay the actual release of the I-build itself by one week, effectively releasing an Integration build as a mini-milestone with 1 week periodicity.  This seems excessive, to me (while it is actually easier to configure the build machine this way).

Does anyone else have an opinion on this, or am I missing the point?

Thanks,
Rich