[gmf-dev] Build update

Hi All,

I have added the .qualifier suffix to our plug-in and feature version numbers in accordance with: http://eclipse.org/equinox/documents/plugin-versioning.html  If you’ve not read this document, I’d recommend it as we will all need to follow these recommendations for plug-in versioning.

With this change in the build, we are now generating plug-ins with “qualified” versions (e.g. org.eclipse.gmf.bridge_1.0.0.I20060129-1145.jar), which will help with version reconciliation and improved update manager performance.  I’ve also added an “interim” update site (http://download.eclipse.org/technology/gmf/update-site/site-interim.xml) which should help users update to weekly integration builds, particularly when used in conjunction with EMF/EMFT update sites.  If only GEF had one… ;-)

Let me know if you run into any problems.  One snag I ran into: properly generating these plug-in schemes requires the map files be updated with the release tool, ideally not updating tags for unchanged plug-ins.  As we do not update map files for continuous and nightly builds, I’m using the forceContextQualifier property to set the qualifier to the build timestamp.  This works well to distinguish each, but does nothing to prevent unnecessary downloads for unchanged plug-ins.  Finally, on our build machine, I’m now producing “C” (for continuous) build types in order to distinguish between these and “N” (nightly) builds.

Thanks,

Rich

Richard C. Gronback

Borland Software Corporation