RE: [gmf-dev] GMF downloads

Hi Anthony,

I have often considered adding the documentation to the SDK build.  I am less inclined to include the examples due to our external dependency on EMF’s examples, which would therefore force someone installing our SDK to install EMF examples.  Ideally, we’d eliminate this dependency along with our UML2 dependency for testing, as proposed here (but which proposes replacing UML2 with the EMF library example).

Another consideration is size.  The current SDK and Doc downloads are about equal, so bundling together would mean a 23MB+ download.  I haven’t heard anyone in the community complain yet, but then I’ve only heard one suggestion from the community regarding our downloads, and that was for an all-in-one bundle a la WTP.

So, how about these download configurations:

  1. Runtime (requires EMF + GEF + WST properties)
  2. SDK (Runtime + Tooling + Documentation)
  3. Examples (requires SDK + EMF Examples)
  4. Tests (requires Examples + UML2 + EMFT)

Sound reasonable? Would we need a standalone Documentation download? Another suggestion is the Runtime + ECore modeling example.  Lots of options.  Perhaps the newsgroup is a better place for the discussion?

And then, what about the update site?  I wonder how many use it vs. downloading zip files?  Personally, I find it more convenient for getting everything I want in one shot, and it will better when the Callisto site is up.

Thanks,

Rich