RE: [gmf-dev] Failing JUnits in the GMF build...

I agree as a framework we should be more resilient to these types of issues.  Can you log a bugzilla to runtime-common describing / capturing your ideas below?

Thanks,

Steve.
Steven R. Shaw
Rational Modeling Platform Diagram Layer Lead
Rational Software | IBM Software Group
770 Palladium Drive, Kanata, ON, Canada, K2V 1C8
tel: 613.591.7979
steveshaw@xxxxxxxxxx

"Alexander Shatalin" <Alexander.Shatalin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gmf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/02/2005 05:48 AM

Please respond to
"GMF Project developer discussions."

"GMF Project developer discussions." <gmf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [gmf-dev] Failing JUnits in the GMF build...

Hi!
    BTW, it seems like any "incorrectly written" provider (throwing exception from "provides()" operation) plugged into the IBM runtime will block all the rest of functionality. It sounds like a stability problem of a framework.
    I know that there are two ways to handle this situation: one is just to throw an exception (as it is now) - as a result one incorrect provider will block all operations of this type. Another is to catch this exception in a framework, log it and continue working with another providers. In other words, second approach means: try to continue working even if one provider was broken.
    So, my question is: will we continue working with first type of providers querying strategy or is it planned to support second "safe" one?
Alex Shatalin