From: gmf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Henrik Rentz-Reichert
Sent: Thu 8/25/2005 7:38 AM
To: GMF Project developer discussions.
Subject: Re: [gmf-dev] IBM's DSM Toolkit demo

Hi Dan,

unfortunately I could not attend the meeting on monday but I would
really like to see your DSM Toolkit. Are you willing to contribute it in
source? Or could you make it available at least in binary form as a set
of plugins and features?

Like Dan I'm curious about the ongoing work of the Borland developers.
Could you, Rich, give a short report on the project status? I think
without such a status report the developer community won't be able to
form an opinion on Dans questions.

Thanks,

Henrik

Daniel Leroux wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I'm looking forward to seeing an update on where the existing codebase
> has evolved.
>
> The work done by the students is definitely a prototype and requires a
> lot more work but it exceeded all my expectations of what could be
> done in < 10 weeks.   They probably also exceeded our GMF M1 goals and
> would definitely give the project a huge headstart...which is why I
> pushed to have this presented to all of you.   Over time we could
> replace it with a generated editor but I see significant short-term
> benefits to releasing this code to the community.
> - We have nice/usable UI for M1
> - There is (potentially long-term) value in the patterns (templates)
> that the students developed to generate the right code that leverages
> the runtime in the right way...this potentially helps the Borland
> developers get up to speed on the runtime more quickly(??)
>
> Look forward to discussing this with everyone.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>

> *"Richard Gronback" <Richard.Gronback@xxxxxxxxxxx>*
> Sent by: gmf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 08/23/05 10:10 PM
> Please respond to
> "GMF Project developer discussions."

> 	<gmf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
>
> Subject
> 	[gmf-dev] IBM's DSM Toolkit demo
>

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks again to Fred and team for taking the time to show us the DSM
> Toolkit.  Clearly, some nice work by a small group of students in a
> short period of time!
>
> I'd like to get some feedback on this proposed contribution from the
> group.  Although it would quickly add some polish to the project, it
> does so at the loss of having bootstrapped of our own editors (a
> stated goal of the project).  I'd like to see how our existing
> codebase progresses toward this goal and have a follow-up call to
> discuss this matter, our build/test process, the runtime refactoring,
> and the EMFT contributions.  Also, I'd like to cover some topics
> raised during the Council meetings taking place in Boston this week
> (IP issues, the release train, etc.)
>
> Thanks again to the IBM team.
>
> Best Regards,
> Richard