Re: [gmf-dev] IBM's DSM Toolkit demo

Hi Richard,

I'm looking forward to seeing an update on where the existing codebase has evolved.

The work done by the students is definitely a prototype and requires a lot more work but it exceeded all my expectations of what could be done in < 10 weeks.   They probably also exceeded our GMF M1 goals and would definitely give the project a huge headstart...which is why I pushed to have this presented to all of you.   Over time we could replace it with a generated editor but I see significant short-term benefits to releasing this code to the community.
- We have nice/usable UI for M1
- There is (potentially long-term) value in the patterns (templates) that the students developed to generate the right code that leverages the runtime in the right way...this potentially helps the Borland developers get up to speed on the runtime more quickly(??)

Look forward to discussing this with everyone.

Thanks,
Dan

"Richard Gronback" <Richard.Gronback@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gmf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/23/05 10:10 PM

Please respond to
"GMF Project developer discussions."

<gmf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[gmf-dev] IBM's DSM Toolkit demo

Hi All,

Thanks again to Fred and team for taking the time to show us the DSM Toolkit.  Clearly, some nice work by a small group of students in a short period of time!

I'd like to get some feedback on this proposed contribution from the group.  Although it would quickly add some polish to the project, it does so at the loss of having bootstrapped of our own editors (a stated goal of the project).  I'd like to see how our existing codebase progresses toward this goal and have a follow-up call to discuss this matter, our build/test process, the runtime refactoring, and the EMFT contributions.  Also, I'd like to cover some topics raised during the Council meetings taking place in Boston this week (IP issues, the release train, etc.)

Thanks again to the IBM team.

Best Regards,
Richard