[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [gef3d-dev] JOGL did NOT get IP approved
- From: Madhu Samuel <madhusamuel@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:11:46 +0530
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=YsxVplLNDPIhK9i9BXpzT8Q2etUpcX1qxRn9uIhMY80=; b=hcRHZKUULfYnF+ne8q2c4dpQCkFGVpEo/pxEV/1eakv8PiS/mbYbkdxouX2fmR0vsk nJIRKJy/5mev/i6LKsIqQFvYAVAoj85QJmmMKyzQ6hcbKINaX9V1cz37ZG7Q3wcSjw0g csOOAR0QcM38sA/brO65oXFFubtxmm1RsPhz8=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=FH3LUvimUmviusbcJ9Tsv6rmt5CCLoOw1E+wvWeiIB8TBhujlICP9Pvn7YB8p9U/9p wUBoPweRosi2odQnLmIhNwqNeI/V8JfIGCWssuA89wOJL8AHl2DlBSYiLtOh3RbwtnEZ QJTJJM2RzjOBs8sYS0WgFX2qmReaFMYLwfpz8=
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jens v.P. <eclipse-mailinglist@xxxxxxxxx>
yesterday was a bad day for GEF3D and other 3D related projects at Eclipse:
JOGL did not get IP approved.
Without JOGL and LWJGL (which did not get IP approved either) I'm afraid there will be no OpenGL wrapper library left to put into the Eclipse orbit. For details, see http://dev.eclipse.org/ipzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2840
While this sounds pretty dramatically, I still haven't lost all hopes. As far as I understand the situation, the main problem of getting JOGL IP approved was the Oracle/Sun merge. So it simply was bad timing. We (especially Barb Cochrane, who did the due diligence) weren't able to find a person responsible for JOGL at Oracle/Sun. Maybe we'll be able to find someone in a couple of weeks (or months?).
Similar to SVN, we can still work on GEF3D and rely on 3rd party libraries not added to the orbit. In a couple of weeks I hope to create a build system, maybe we can figure out a way of how to deal with LWJGL or JOGL.
Besides, there were some SWT OpenGL bindings. I don't know the current state of this package and I'm not sure whether it makes sense to create our own OpenGL bindings. I'm not sure about how much work this would be, since we already provide a lot of things usually provided by these wrapper libraries (such as basic shapes, the 3D geometry package and so on). Maybe it wouldn't be that hard to revive these SWT bindings... Maybe we could even try to create a Google Summer of Code project for this? What do you think?
gef3d-dev mailing list