Re: [gef3d-dev] JOGL did NOT get IP approved

Yo,

> Besides, there were some SWT OpenGL bindings. I don't know the current state of this package and I'm not sure whether it makes sense to create our own OpenGL bindings. I'm not sure about how much work this would be, since we already provide a lot of things usually provided by these wrapper libraries (such as basic shapes, the 3D geometry package and so on). Maybe it wouldn't be that hard to revive these SWT bindings... Maybe we could even try to create a Google Summer of Code project for this? What do you think?

The main problem with building our own GL wrapper is not the GL bindings - most of that can be generated from the C headers and stuff. The problem is GLU, which must be reimplemented. We'd have to investigate whether there is EPL-compatible code that we can use / adapt / rewrite in Java so we don't have to reinvent all the algorithms. I for one would definitely not want to rewrite the Tesselator for example.

Regards
Kristian

Back to the top