[gef3d-dev] Re: next task

Thanks for the details. I will contact Kristian on March.

Could you plz assign the task to me.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Jens v. P. <developer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Madhu,

On 21.01.2010, at 15:18, Madhu Samuel wrote:
I saw the huge list of tasks!!!

Yeah! Actually it's more a list of ideas then bugs. ;-)

My contract work and preparations to start eclipse training is taking most of my time. Probably, by first week of March I will be able to take up any of the high priority task. How about http://bugs.eclipse.org/269338 ? It has any takers? Shall I plan for this task?

Yeah, that would be great! I think this task is a good opportunity for getting a little bit deeper in GEF3D's code. Kristian told me that he has already started with that some time ago, so you maybe contact him (so you haven't start from scratch).
This task actually consists of two problems: 1) add more handles and 2) implement tools

Regarding the handles: You will find all GEF3D related handles in package org.eclipse.gef3d.handles. There is also a package-info, but I'm not sure if that's still valid. At the moment, a factory is used for creating handles. I assume we have to extend this factory and we also have to introduce new constants for specifying up/down resizing and rotation handles. I'm not sure about how to handle up/down movement, maybe we could use a modifier key for that... But I think you will figure something out ;-) We can discuss that in the developer mailing list.

In order to test the handles and tools, I would suggest you extend the graph example in order to support full 3D editing in the 3D version. You probably have to install a new edit policy (or modify the existing ones, in that case we have to take care that the 2.5D versions are still working).
A really cool feature would be to also add z-movement and rotation to the 3D planes in the ecore- and UML-editor examples...

If you like I could assign the bug to you (I assume that's possible even if you're not a committer). I would think that neither Kristian nor me are changing anything related to the handles stuff, so that simply creating a patch afterwards wouldn't be a problem (as long as you have no committer rights).

Cheers

Jens

Back to the top