Re: [gef3d-dev] GEF3D todo list 2010-01

Yeah, in fact I can do this kind of thing pretty easily come to think of it as I have a shape provider mechanism in the AGF3D stuff. So one could write a custom selector if one wanted. But AFAICT GEF doesn't even have such a standard mechanism -- in any case I did a custom one for that as well. I'm going to muck with the shape provider approach "when I get a chance".

IMHO, the GEF selection mechanism is a bunch of hacks... I have already "hacked" into it (I'm using different kind of selections to distinguish a standard selection from my special "dropformation" selections), I should document this and maybe extract a howto document. So, "replacing" the standard selection is not that big issue (you simply have to replace a policy), the problem is to "add" a new kind of selection.

Any thoughts about the actual selection mechanism in the 3D view itself? I can't even wrap my head around how that would work but perhaps that a "generally solved problem"...

We already have a selection mechanism in 3D, that is we replace the 2D rectangle handles by 3D cubes. The only thing missing are "more" cube handles for moving elements in z-direction and for rotating. I thing this shouldn't be too hard. At the moment, we replace a policy responsible for creating the handles, and we only have to implement a new policy creating more handles.

BTW, I thought I'd mention that one of my big to dos is to do real 3D for AGF3D. :) ANd that would be neat because in that case I'd actually be using 3d model features i.e. collision and distance on the *model* side..

Aren't your figures real 3D yet?

Cool..to get things rolling I think you'd just need to send a note to dash-dev -- they could provision the hudson stuff and so on. I'm slammed as well but I'll be able to take a bit of time to get to this if anyone decides to tackle it sooner.

dash-dev? Oh my god, I really have to get into this...

Cheers

Jens

Back to the top