[gef-dev] Moving provisional API of DOT and Cloudio to internal?

Hi team,

I was thinking about how to proceed in detail with our GEF4 DOT component for the upcoming 4.0.0 release. While we could expose DotImport, DotExport, and DotProperties (which are currently the only provisional API), that would probably not provide much benefit to adopters unless we also expose parts of the DOT.UI module (Dot2ZestGraphConverter). As I think it likely that we will have to revise at least the DotProperties mechanism to some extent (because some property values follow an own grammar, so that enumerating all valid values will not be appropriate in all cases; I am currently investigating how we can integrate such „embedded“ grammars already into the Dot grammar as an alternative), exposing it for 1.0.0 is probably not the best idea.

As such, I was thinking of moving the currently exposed three classes (DotImport, DotExport, DotProperties) into internal packages as well, so that DOT would be a pure end-user component for 1.0.0. That would give us the chance to work on DOT more intensively (i.e. add further features like the integration of the dot executable for layouting) without affecting any API. Do you guys see any objections?

Further that could also be a way to go for Cloudio with 1.0.0. The current API still needs some refactoring, and while that could be achieved up to M7, we could probably spend this effort much better in other places (to augment MVC and Zest). What do you think?

Cheers
Alexander
--
Dr. Alexander Nyßen
Dipl.-Inform.

Telefon: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-202
Telefax: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-211
Mobil: +49 (0) 151 /  17396743

http://www.itemis.de
alexander.nyssen@xxxxxxxxx

itemis AG
Am Brambusch 15-24
44536 Lünen

Rechtlicher Hinweis:

Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 20621

Vorstand: Jens Wagener (Vors.), Wolfgang Neuhaus, Dr. Georg Pietrek, Jens Trompeter, Sebastian Neus

Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Igel (Vors.), Michael Neuhaus, Jennifer Fiorentino