[gef-dev] GEF participation in Neon

Hi team,

as our Mars.1 RC1 contribution is now on track, its time to talk about our plans for Neon (actually Neon M1+1 is already today). Concerning major development themes, I would like to investigate the architectural issues already listed within our 3.10.1 (Mars SR1) review documentation (https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.gef/releases/3.10.1-mars-sr1/review) first. I would also like to investigate how the UI-integration could be refactored to make use of native e4 mechanisms where possible (not requiring the compatibility layer any more). Last, I would like to spend effort on testing and maturing what we already provide. If there are other points you would like to investigate please name them here, so I can add them to the Neon plan.

In general, we have to clarify whether we want to target a GEF4 0.3.0 or 1.0.0 release for Neon. From my point of view 1.0.0 would be preferred, because a) we could rely on API tooling to properly evolve our API further (even if that would mean we would have to release 2.0.0 with Neon +1) and b) we would signal to our community that a certain maturity has already been reached (which I would expect, having resolved above named architectural issues). Nevertheless, there are also arguments for a 0.3.0 release. I would like to discuss the pros and cons and come to a consensus here, so please give your opinions!

Cheers
Alexander
--
Dr. Alexander Nyßen
Dipl.-Inform.

Telefon: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-202
Telefax: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-211
Mobil: +49 (0) 151 /  17396743

http://www.itemis.de
alexander.nyssen@xxxxxxxxx

itemis AG
Am Brambusch 15-24
44536 Lünen

Rechtlicher Hinweis:

Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 20621

Vorstand: Jens Wagener (Vors.), Wolfgang Neuhaus, Dr. Georg Pietrek, Jens Trompeter, Sebastian Neus

Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Igel (Vors.), Michael Neuhaus, Jennifer Fiorentino

Back to the top