Re: [gef-dev] How to continue after Mars?

On 09/06/15 14:32, Alexander Nyßen wrote:
> 2) Do we want to set-up Gerrit?
>
> When preparing the IP log for the Mars release, I ran into several issues where contributions were not properly handled. I had to spend a lot of effort in getting these right. IMHO it could make sense to set-up Gerrit, as this would prevent such contributions to get into the code base. For committers, we could still allow to by-pass Gerrit, but all external contributions could be handled via it. On the downside, it could be harder for adopters to contribute, but it seems quite a few projects already use Gerrit, so that disadvantage could extenuate itself in the future.

Hi everyone,

I'm not a GEF developer, but I think I can offer a bit of input
regarding this topic. I recently submitted my first contribution for an
Eclipse project, and had to get everything working with Gerrit to do so.
It was indeed a bit of a road block for me. However, one of Lars Vogel's
tutorials helped me with the process:

  http://tinyurl.com/pajulf6

It is admittedly a rather lengthy tutorial, and took me one or two hours
to work through properly, but it's something. You may want to link to
that tutorial to guide new developers through that process. Still, even
with that I'm quite sure that there will be people who won't want to
invest this much time just to submit a bugfix.

Cheers,
 Christoph Daniel