[gef-dev] Mars M1 is near - Zest plug-ins and features to be bundled

Hi team,

as you might have heard from cross-projects, Mars M1 is due in roughly a month. As it is our goal to ship a self-contained GEF4 for Mars (having no dependencies on GEF proper components), I would like to not include the original GEF4 Zest2 bundles in it, as we plan to remove/replace them within the Mars timeframe anyway. I think it would be better to directly include the new Zest.FX and Zest.FX.UI bundles instead, and to update the Zest features and GEF4 update site accordingly before M1 (while the code could still remain in the repo for a while). We would of course have to create an initial Zest.FX.UI bundle in advance, which could be done as outlined in bug #439474, so that it for now only integrates Zest.FX with the Eclipse UI. In later milestones, we could then extend it with a replacement for the current JFace API (or whatever seems to be appropriate) as currently discussed on the mailing list (we should IMHO open a bug to address this). The same holds for Zest.FX, which will still have to be extended as outlined in bug #438734 in later milestones as well. I have sketched my plans in bug #429600, please provide comments there.

Cheers
Alexander
--
Dr. Alexander Nyßen
Dipl.-Inform.

Telefon: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-210
Telefax: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-211
Mobil: +49 (0) 151 /  17396743

itemis AG
Am Brambusch 15-24
44536 Lünen

Rechtlicher Hinweis:

Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 20621

Vorstand: Jens Wagener (Vors.), Wolfgang Neuhaus, Dr. Georg Pietrek, Jens Trompeter, Sebastian Neus

Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Burkhard Igel (Vors.), Stephan Grollmann, Michael Neuhaus