Re: [gef-dev] Zest FX UI contribution

Hi,

Tom is right concerning the SWT/JFace dependency as long as Zest.FX is concerned, which should be targeted at providing JavaFX visualization also in a standalone scenario (and should thus have no Eclipse UI dependencies).

However, as Zest.FX.UI is intended to cover the Eclipse UI integration of Zest.FX (i.e. embed the Zest.FX viewer into an Eclipse View, additionally also integrating it with the properties view, etc.), it would depend on SWT and the Eclipse UI anyway.

The question that IMHO arises is whether an API that provides the underlying data structures to the Zest.FX viewer (i.e. what is currently covered by the JFace API in Zest) should only be available in the Zest.FX.UI context (which would be the implication if we use JFace content and label providers) or also in the standalone scenario.

If we assume that we split the GEF4 Graph into an interface and implementation part, could we not simply use the GEF4 Graph interfaces (or a lightweight facade built on top of it) for exactly this purpose?

Cheers
Alexander