Re: [gef-dev] KIELER project wants to join Eclipse

Hi all,

this is great news! I've heard a lot about KIELER and I'm sure this will be a significant improvement of what Eclipse.org offers in the graph layouting area.

I'm not familiar with the details of KIELER, but could it make sense to join Eclipse.org as one or multiple GEF components instead of a project of its own?

Cheers,
Fabian

On 12.06.2014, at 15:40, Stephan Schwiebert <schwiebert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> +1 from me as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephan
>

> Am 12.06.2014 um 23:30 schrieb Ujhelyi Zoltán <ujhelyiz@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> very big +1 from me. KIELER have very nice layout algorithms implemented, so making them available from GEF4 would be a very nice boost.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Zoltán
>> -- Zoltán Ujhelyi
>> https://www.inf.mit.bme.hu/en/members/ujhelyiz
>>
>> Fault Tolerant Systems Research Group
>> Budapest University of Technology and Economics
>>
>> On 2014.06.12., at 15:09, Alexander Nyßen <alexander.nyssen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi team,
>>>
>>> Miro Spönemann and Christoph Daniel Schulze from the KIELER project at Christian-Albrechts-Universität Kiel (http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/en/rtsys/kieler/) have contacted me recently (I had a phone call with them yesterday). The KIELER group has the intention to create a new Eclipse project to contribute their layout infrastructure (KGraph, KLayoutData, etc., see http://rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/confluence/display/KIELER/KGraph+Meta+Model) and related layout algorithm implementations to Eclipse.
>>>
>>> As these things are very closely related to what we (intend to) cover with our GEF4 Graph/DOT and GEF4 Layout components, they and I think it would make very much sense to elaborate how we could work closely together, so that in the end, clients could seamlessly use KIELER layout algorithms (provided by the new project) in the context of GEF4-based editors or views. We have not elaborated in detail how that could organizationally and technically look like, and I would like to schedule a team call together with them to figure that out (or at least start an initial discussion about it).
>>>
>>> As a preparation, Miro and Christoph Daniel have agreed to assess the current gap between their layout infrastructure and our GEF4 Graph and GEF4 Layout components, so we could directly head for a technical discussion as well. Until they notify us about completion here, we could already use the time to share some first opinions.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Alexander
>>> --
>>> Dr. Alexander Nyßen