Re: [gef-dev] Luna and Gerrit

Hi,

Some late answer to an old question, we have obtained some experience with Gerrit for the development of the EMF-IncQuery and VIATRA2 projects.

Good points
 * All contributions (even ones not merged) are stored in Git, thus it is easier to integrate changes.
 * Using a HIPP instance, it is possible to build all changes before they are reviewed (and this is not hard to set up if one has already set up builds).
 * I like the commentable interface better for changes that need discussion as opposed to mailing list/ticket based communication, as the code is always included.
Bad points
 * There are some non-trivial hoops, especially for those unfamiliar with Git.
 * Every commit becomes a new review (it is hard to manage 2 or 3 commits together this way).

My opinion (I consider myself a capable Git user) it might be worth the cost, but I cannot tell anything about the potential contributors for the GEF project.

Cheers,
Zoltán
-- Zoltán Ujhelyi
https://www.inf.mit.bme.hu/en/members/ujhelyiz

Fault Tolerant Systems Research Group

On 2013.10.09., at 10:39, Alexander Nyßen <alexander.nyssen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While I don't have any personal experiences with Gerrit, anything that makes it easier for our contributors to participate IMHO would be more than welcome. Does anybody in our team (or contributors) have experiences yet?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexander

Back to the top