Re: [gef-dev] Detaching GEF from Eclipse

Well, the org.eclipse.gef plug-in contains an MVC framework that is actually independent of the Eclipse Workbench, as well as mostly independent on Draw2d and SWT (while there are some dependencies on Draw2d/SWT geometry classes and event representations; possibly also others). As we are not bound to backwards compatibility with GEF4, we can modularize the plug-in after having ported it to GEF4 (and will do so after Juno) by factoring out those parts that are independent of the Eclipse 3.x Workbench, thereby making these parts of GEF4 "natively" usable with the new e4 application platform. The question of whether to further factor out those parts that are basically independent of Draw2d and SWT as well is a question that may be answered afterwards (and with a lower priority). However, as I am not convinced that the architecture of the mentioned MVC framework is at all suitable in a web setting (as already pointed out by Alex) I also do not expect that this will be a major argument we will base our decision on.

Cheers,
Alexander