From:        Alexander Nyßen <Alexander.Nyssen@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        GEF development <gef-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        12/03/2010 03:29 AM
Subject:        [gef-dev] Modernization of GEF Main Project Page
Sent by:        gef-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi team,

when I was working on some Bugzillas concerning outdated information on our main project page (
http://www.eclipse.org/gef), I gained the impression that the relevant information is not very easily accessible. That is, the user has to scroll the main page to access documentation, and some sections like the build news do not present any information at all, due to the broken modeling build infrastructure.

I thus looked into some other project pages to see how information is organized there. From what I learned, it seems to be that several other projects already have adopted a new look & feel, using 4 main entry buttons (Download, Documentation, Support, Getting Involved) directly right to the project logo, compare e.g. CDT (
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt) or EGit (http://www.eclipse.org/egit), as well as Papyrus (http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/papyrus/) and others.

I personally like this new "fresh" look and feel and thought about whether we could adopt it for the GEF homepage as well. As the general stylesheet for all pages does not seem to be affected, it would - as far as I see it - only have impact on the main page, where - from my point of view - the only hindrance seems to be that our logo does not fit quite well into the light purple "star spangled" banner background theme used by all these projects. After two hours of GIMPing (I am not really an expert with painting tools :-(), what you find attached is my interpretation of how such a banner background could be combined with the GEF logo...

What do you think? Please comment!

Cheers
Alexander

[attachment "backgroundMain.png" deleted by Anthony Hunter/Ottawa/IBM]
--
Dr. Alexander Nyßen
Dipl.-Inform.

Telefon: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-210
Telefax: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-211
Mobil: +49 (0) 151 /  17396743

http://www.itemis.de
alexander.nyssen@xxxxxxxxx

itemis AG
Am Brambusch 15-24
44536 Lünen

Rechtlicher Hinweis:

Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 20621

Vorstand: Jens Wagener (Vors.), Wolfgang Neuhaus, Dr. Georg Pietrek, Jens Trompeter, Sebastian Neus

Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Burkhard Igel (Vors.), Stephan Grollmann, Michael Neuhaus