Re: [gef-dev] GEF Simple Doubts!

All the hello world generated plugins will run in Eclipse, not as a standalone app. Just export them using File > Export into a jar and you can install them into your downstream target's Eclipse.

For testing, however, you will still have your development Eclipse (where the sources are) + a second Eclipse (where you test the plugins you just built).

Maybe you accidentally checked a box on the wizard for "RCP?"

If you don't want to export each plugin using File > Export, you could build an update site and publish the URL so people can get your bits that way. Or use Athena [1].

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Athena_Common_Build#Getting_Started

aatish wrote:
Hi,
I have asked people out there. Few of them responded but no body knows the
solution to it, i.e. to make a   plugin which runs inside Eclipse and not as
a standalone app.
If you know then please help me. It is urgent!

Thanks a lot,
Aatish

Nick Boldt wrote:
/me points at eclipse.newcomer and #eclipse again.

aatish wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I did try the Hello World thing. But, I don't know how to customize it according to my needs. I am currently using the RCP template for creating the rich graphical
interface. But that opens as a stand alone application and all the
figures
are seen in that stand alone app. Can you please tell me what changes should be made in that basic Hello
World
template so that my editor runs inside eclipse.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.

-Aatish

Nick Boldt wrote:
This isn't really a GEF developer question. I would suggest in future that you ask generic Eclipse development questions in the eclipse.newcomer newsgroup [1] or in #eclipse on Freenode [2].

That said... have you tried the Hello World wizards?

File > New > Other > Plug-In Dev > Plug-In Project > ... > [x] Create a plug-in using one of the templates > ...

Using those you can generate a fully-functional plugin project and then change the code to suit your needs.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.newcomer
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/IRC

Nick

Aatish Mandelecha wrote:
Hi, I am very new to GEF. I am on a mission to make a Graphical Editor. My first step is to make something similar to Shapes Diagram example/ Database Schema Editor. That is, I want to make a plugin which opens and works inside the Eclipse. I don't want to make a standalone application. I have the source code of Database Schema Editor but there is no plugin.xml from which I can learn how to make a plugin. Please help me, guys. It is very urgent. Thanks a lot, Aatish

--
Aatish Mandelecha
Univ, of California, Irvine

Nick Boldt :: http://wiki.eclipse.org/User:Nickb
Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena