Re: [gef-dev] Zest feature

Thanks for the great explanation Nick! Anthony, are you sure that that GEF SDK has Draw2D? I tried the download from [1] and the only plugins in the GEF SDK seem to be:
1) gef source
2) draw2d doc
3) gef doc
4) gef examples
5) gef

[1]http://download.eclipse.org/tools/gef/downloads/drops/I20071214-1625/index.php

Maybe I'm just missing something here.

Cheers,
Ian

Anthony Hunter wrote:
Hi Team,

I will have to check this out.

Note that IBM takes in GEF-SDK.zip, GEF-runtime.zip and GEF-examples.zip
and I did a diff on the before and after builds to make sure they were
identical in content.

The only difference was the additional draw2d feature in GEF-SDK, and
GEF-runtime.

I did not test the Zest-SDK.zip directly.

Note that I tested the update site on my internal-to-ibm update site as
well before publishing to Eclipse.org, so there is more testing required
before we push a M4 to Ganymede

Cheers...
Anthony
--
Anthony Hunter mailto:anthonyh@xxxxxxxxxx
Software Development Manager: Eclipse Open Source Components

From: Nick Boldt/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA To: "GEF development" <gef-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> Date: 12/15/2007 04:26 PM Subject: Re: [gef-dev] Zest feature

For PDE to automatically bundle things together in a zip, the main feature
(Zest SDK, GEF SDK) has to include all the features you need, and those
features must include all their subfeatures and plugins. For example, the
EMF SDK contains the EMF runtime feature, doc feature, and source feature;
the doc feature in turn includes the doc plugin, and the runtime feature
includes the smaller features, like o.e.emf.ecore; that feature,
o.e.emf.ecore, then includes its plugins.

Packaging can be done many different ways, but the fastest method is to
build an uberfeature ("all") which includes everything else, then repackage
that zip's contents into other, smaller zips (SDKs, runtimes, examples,
etc.) This is *almost* what EMF does -- we actually have 5 feature-builds:
emf-sdk, sdo-sdk, xsd-sdk, examples, tests. The models zip isn't built with
PDE proper, just a simpler ant-based packaging process. From the 3 SDKs, we
then extract the runtimes. Finally, the emf-sdo and emf-sdo-xsd combined
SDKs are assembled by just copying from their source zips to new ones.
(Yes, there's still some unnecesary overhead in there.)

All of this is possible for GEF too, though with a single "uberfeature" it
can be done more simply. ;-) The uberfeature is also the first step toward
jar signing as it allows you to provide a single zip to be signed instead
of a handful.

Regarding the questions of what zips and features should contain which
other features, and what the dependency chain is for the update site, I'll
let you guys figure that one out. Do you want to provide 3 main runtime
features, gef, draw2d, zest? Or more? Should the GEF SDK include both GEF
and Draw2D? Should the Zest SDK include both Zest and Draw2D? And does
anyone really use zips anymore anyway? I find the granuality and ease of
use of an update site to be much more powerful, allowing users to pick Zest
and 'select required' to get any/all deps they might not know they need.
Much easier IMHO that making people download a zip w/ more than they want,
or several to assemble the runtimes / sources / docs they need.

$0.02,

Nick