  From:       "malloovidio@xxxxxxxxxx" <malloovidio@xxxxxxxxxx>

  To:         gef-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

  Date:       11/07/2007 03:51 AM

  Subject:    [gef-dev] Avoiding overlapping figures

Hi all,

I am writing a graphical editor in GEF which basically draws
several function
lines which are composed of individual straight line segments
(modeled by
connections between the two adjacent function points). In addition,
some
of those line segments are given a label describing them.

My problem is that I have to layout those labels in such a way that
(whenever
possible):
- the individual labels do not overlap with each other
- the individual labels do not overlap with the individual line
segments

To me, it seems as if I need some sort of global layout algorithm
which
decides where to place the individual labels. As this seems to be
non-trivial,
I wanted to ask whether GEF itself has any support for this kind of
"optimal"
layout arrangement or whether there is some other library which
addresses
this issue?

I hope my explanation is clear enough and I would very much
appreciate
any feedback. Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,
Ovidio