[gef-dev] Z Order API Change

This is more of a development question, rather than a usage question, so I am posting it here.

I am wondering if the IFigure API can be changed to add a changeZOrder(IFigure child, int position)? I have a graph, and when I select a node I would like it to appear on top. The usual method (remove the node, then add it back) doesn't work in my case. I have 25 nodes (containers) each with 256 children ~= 6400 nodes. Removing a container (and firing all the listeners, etc...) takes about 1 1/2 seconds, a considerable lag for a selection. I have experimented with simply moving the container in the array of children (then calling invalidate / repaint) and the performance is much better (since there is no need for all the notifications)?

I will open a bug report, and even get a patch ready if this is considered a good idea. However, I have a feeling that GEF doesn't support this for a reason.
cheers,
Ian

Back to the top