Re: [gef-dev] Possible to use GEF outside of Eclipse?

Can you point me at some documentation on how to do this?  I've successfully got the RCP templates from Eclipse 3.1 working, however I don't know how to get the GEF plugins to run from there.  I'd like to bring up the shapes diagram example inside an RCP application.  How would one go about getting everything setup properly?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

This is not supported. GEF is a UI framework, and there is enough benefit from leveraging the workbench that we require its presence.  You'll have to consider RCP, or make the modifications yourself.

-Randy

Jon Schewe <jon.schewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gef-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/15/2005 03:59 PM
Please respond to

GEF development

gef-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[gef-dev] Possible to use GEF outside of Eclipse?

I would like to use GEF in my non-eclipse application and am having a really difficult time finding documentation on how to properly initialize things.  I found the standalone logic design example, however it's for an earlier version of GEF and doesn't work.  Currently my setup code looks like this (I'm starting with the shape editor).  The problem seems to be when I try and create a PaletteViewer.

 private static void setupApp(final Canvas c) {

   // model
   final ShapesDiagram model = new ShapesDiagram();
   model.addChild(new EllipticalShape());
   model.addChild(new RectangularShape());

   // editparts
   final EditPartFactory editPartFactory = new ShapesEditPartFactory();
   final EditPart topEditPart = editPartFactory.createEditPart(null, model);
   topEditPart.setModel(model);

   // edit area
   final ShapesEditor editor = new ShapesEditor();

   //editor.init(site);

   final Canvas editorCanvas = new Canvas(c, SWT.NONE);
   final GridData gd2 = new GridData();
   editorCanvas.setLayoutData(gd2);
   gd2.heightHint = c.getClientArea().height;
   gd2.widthHint = c.getClientArea().width-200;

   //final EditorSite site = new EditorSite(editorReference, editor, manager.page, descr);
   //part.init(site);

   //editor.createPartControl(editorCanvas);

   //gvi.setControl(editorCanvas);
   //gvi.setContents(ldep);

   // edit domain
   final EditDomain editDomain = editor.getEditDomain();

   // palette
   final PaletteRoot paletteRoot = ShapesEditorPaletteFactory.createPalette();
   editDomain.setPaletteRoot(paletteRoot);

   final Canvas palette = new Canvas(c, SWT.NONE);
   final GridData gd3 = new GridData();
   gd3.heightHint = c.getClientArea().height;
   gd3.widthHint = 200;
   palette.setLayoutData(gd3);
   //new GEFPlugin(); // do this to initialize preferences that the PaletteViewer constructor relies upon
//     System.out.println(GEFPlugin.getDefault().getBundle());
   final PaletteViewer pvi = new PaletteViewer();
   pvi.setControl(palette);
   editDomain.setPaletteViewer(pvi);

   //final GraphicalViewer gvi = editor.getGraphicalViewer();
   final GraphicalViewer gvi = new GraphicalViewerImpl();
   gvi.setEditPartFactory(editPartFactory);
   gvi.setRootEditPart(new ScalableFreeformRootEditPart());
   gvi.setControl(editorCanvas);
   gvi.setEditDomain(editDomain);
   gvi.setContents(topEditPart);

   //editor.configureGraphicalViewer();
   //editor.initializeGraphicalViewer();

 }

http://lug.htc.honeywell.com/people/jschewe[Honeywell Intranet Only]
*My views may not represent those of my employers