Re: [gef-dev] Dragging and Dropping between two instances of the same editor

DragDetect occurs on mouse down. You must decide at that point whether you want to use native DND, or just receive mouse events within a single control.

John Bradley <john.bradley@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gef-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/16/2005 06:40 AM

Please respond to
GEF development

gef-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[gef-dev] Dragging and Dropping between two instances of the same        editor

I am a relative newby using GEF (and Eclipse plugin development, if truth be
told), and am currently at the point of wanting to introduce drag and drop.
I want the user to be able to drag an object in one editor instance to another
-- where both the editor instance are the same kind of editor -- one on one
input source, the other on another source.  When they drop the object in the
2nd instance, a copy of the original object is created.

My problem is that I must enable both dragging and dropping on the editor, and
when this is done the DnD code seems to override the move/resize functionality
I already have in there.  I was hoping that move/resize would continue to
operate on objects dragged around within a single editor windowm, and that DnD
would kick in only when the object was dragged from one instance of the editor
to another.

Is this possible?  If so, what needs to be be done?

Many thanks!  I've been enjoying working in GEF.         ... john bradley