Re: [gef-dev] bug: GC.setLineStyle does not work if width > 1

You mention two important issues.  Where does GDI+ support belong, but also who will do the work.  The GEF team has 2 full-time developers, and neither of us has experience with Microsoft API.  I completely agree that this type of work should be done.  I'm not sure exactly how to gracefully mix this type support into GC.  If GC weren't final, it might be possible to create a GCPlus subclass, which added methods like setLineWidth(double), setAntiAlias(enum), etc.  Otherwise, we might be able to mix it into draw2d's Graphics class, but I think this is a workaround.

Requirements:
The API would have to be limited to functionality that can acceptibly degrade on other platforms.  So that probably excludes things like being able to compress a font horizontally, generic affine transformations, etc.  The install size should be negligible, and the performance should be on par with the default SWT support (or faster ;-)).

But this is the whole point of open source.  Go do it, and if you maintain the same quality level and cross-platform requirements that currently exist, there is a high probability that such a contribution would be accepted.  Which team accepts it would depend on the first design decision mentioned above.  I've seen the current code, it works on win32, but isn't ready for production.  GDI plus support would have to be in a draw2d.win32 fragment, similar to the way other components are separated. The GEF team and the community really appreciate such work, and I've appended it to the SWT bugzilla open on supporting rendering hints.  I hope something comes of this because it will do a lot for GEF.

Thanks,
Randy

"Alex Selkov" <as@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gef-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx