[gef-dev] Checking my understanding

Hello.  I am prety new to Eclipse and GEF and I am thinking of adapting a
specialized GUI editor I was working on to integrate with Eclipse through
GEF.  I would just like to check my understanding of the framework and make
sure I am moving in the right direction before I go too far.  Here is a list
of statements that sum up what I understand about the design and the
intended implementation of a GEF plugin:

1 -The objects in the model should know nothing about edit parts or figures.
2 -Every type of object in the model should have a corresponding edit part.

Model:                                                        Edit parts:
    Drawing
DrawingEditPart
       /       \                                                        /
\
Square    Circle                                SquareEdirPart
CircleEditPart

3 -Edit parts know how to draw themselves in a view (through draw2d
figures).
4 -Policies can be seen as shrink wrapped behaviors that can be added to
edit parts to make them behave in a certain way (not too sure I get this
one...).
5 -The model shoudl implement a command process pattern as its only entry
point for the view to manipulate it.
6 -The model should notify the view of changes through a callbacks to an
observer interface.

I would much apreciate if someone could confirm these points with a simple
correct/incorrect response for each item.

I also plan to make a few collaboration and sequence diagrams to get a
better understanding of the tpical patterns involved in developping a GEF
plugin.  Does anybody have something like this already?

Thanks with your patience with my newbie questions.

Hope I am posting this to the right list...

Pierre Boudreau
Alpha Centauri Inc.

Back to the top