Re: [geclipse-dev] FW: Adding EBS

Salut Mathias

1. As there is nice sunshine outside, I thought about having a barbacue in your garden soon! :-)

2. You summary is inline of our strategy. I don't see a very big difference.
Anyhow, I can see some more use cases in the field.

The more interesting thing is if there even is a use-case for browsing the EBS content from the client-side?! As far as I understand EBS it is meant to be a block device ready to be attached to a running EC2 instance. It is like a harddrive connected to a running machine. So here are my thoughts:

1) Normally I do not want to have my harddrive attached to more than one machine, regardless from if the machine is local or remote, server or client side.

Why not having one harddisk attached to more than one computers. That is something like the "SAN/NAS" is doing. So it is not so uncommon. There will be problems with consitency management etc on Cloud provider side, but we will see what future brings...

2) If I would like to have access to parts of my harddrive (databases, remote mounts, etc.) from the client side I am providing suitable services on my server side giving such access (like samba, database connections etc.), but never ever I would like to give full access to the client side.

Anyhow, the owner of a few EBS block devices, I know at least one potential user (me) who will not be able to "track" the content of all EBS devices continuesly. So meta-data will be used to help the user to remember what is inside. But experience showed that ... at some point you just plugin your USB stick to the computer and open the Explorer and look what is inside before
you open the application to access data on the stick.
I don't see the big difference in the use case's workflow between USB and EBS!

But again....
So for a client like g-Eclipse I rather see use-cases like

1. Create/Delete an EBS volume
2. Attach/Detach a volume to a running instance
3. Create snapshots of the volume
4. Share these snapshots

This is what we need first and what is offered by Amazon currently. So we are in agreement
and you have to organize the barbecue anyhow!

Harald

Back to the top