Re: [geclipse-dev] Trace Viewer sources and releases

Thank you for your fast answer and the patch, Thomas !
I will use the version from the trunk then.

Philippe

2009/9/15 Thomas Köckerbauer <tkoeck@xxxxxxxxxx>
Hello

> I am currently working on a OTF trace viewer eclipse plug-in focused of
> interactions between components (as defined by UML). I tested Trace Viewer
> included in the g-eclipse RPC and I would like to use it as a beginning for
> my project. I only found the sources on the eclipse SVN, but there are
>  quite a lot of TODOs and some bug fixes are still to be done.

Most of the TODOs in the source are because of auto-generated code (mainly
exception handling for parts where it is not critical), the current version
should be quite stable.

One TODO regarding OTF support that might be relevant for you is that
currently the trace viewer code in the SVN uses the java zlib compression
support, which is broken (i.e. it can not open some compressed OTF files).
There is a better implementation by jcraft which can be used instead, but it
is not in the SVN right now since it has to go through the Eclipse
intellectual property process first (the code has to be checked to be
compatible to the Eclipse public license before it can be committed)

If you want you can download the latest revision of the trace view plugins (if
you are only interested in the trace view you can use the trace view plugins
without the other g-Eclipse plugins since there are no dependencies) and apply
a patch to use the other zlib implementation.

The patch to apply is at:
http://www.mnm-team.org/~koecker/jcraft_inflater.patch

You also need to add the jcraft implementation to your workspace, the project
can be found at:
http://www.mnm-team.org/~koecker/com.jcraft.jzlib.zip

>  I was
>  wondering if the Trace Viewer delivered as part of the g-eclipse RPC was a
>  stable version of the plug-in. If it is, where could I find the sources?

I would recommend to use the current trunk version from the repository, since
as mentioned there are no really important TODOs and it should be quite
stable.

>  In general: is there a development roadmap and if yes, is there already a
>  planning concerning release dates?

The 1.0 release on eclipse.org is upcoming (afaik the current blocker is some
paperwork) and the current trace viewer (maybe with minor changes) will also
be in this release.
The work on the trace viewer part of g-Eclipse is mainly done by people
currently working on their thesis and features are added as needed.
But, as always for Eclipse projects, wishes, contributions, patches and bug
reports are always welcome.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
Thomas