[geclipse-dev] Refactoring of the Pure Java implementation of LFC

Hello,

My name is Piter T. de Boer and we are interested in your java implementation of LFC. The beginning of this year I evaluated the g-Eclipse code and tried to use it. My first impression is that g-Eclipse did a good effort to create a developing
environment to create grid applications.
Also the full integration of the glite middleware still is very interesting for us.

However for our use at this time we are only interested in the LFC filesystem as that part was still missing from our internal developed toolkit: The VL-e Toolkit or (VLET). (We already have SRM). The main application from that toolkit is the VBrowser which provides an easy to use browsing environment for (bio) medical users who aren't keen on 'command line' grid computing. Even an well configured (g)Eclipse environment is still hard to use for them.

Since integrating g-Eclipse with VLET at this moment is to much work for only the LFC part, we took the liberty to take out the pure LFC code and refactor it to a stand alone LFC Java API. This so we could create our own optimized LFC 'driver' for the VBrowser as this interactive application
has high requirements for the underlying file system implementations.

As the code is g-Eclipse licenced code, I now return the code to you to evaluate and maybe even
upgrade your code as I fixed some bugs and added extra features.
I did however remove all (g)eclipse references as I wanted a pure standalone LFC API. Currently, one of our 'Glite' liaison officers (Jan Just Keizer) will contact the Glite middleware guys to see if they are interested in this code as well, since the LFC implementation is rather low level and not much documentation exist, it is best (in the spirit of open source) to join efforts
and keep this code working.

See: http://www.science.uva.nl/~ptdeboer/lfc/

Access to the VLET CVS can also be provided, but the code could also be kept at one to the (g)eclipse sites
or maybe in one of the glite software repositories.

Piter T. de Boer
University of Amsterdam / Informatics Institute.

(PS: Jan Just, could you forward this mail to the glite development team?)

Back to the top