Re: [geclipse-dev] GRIA data managmement

Hello!

Ariel Garcia pisze:
We download a whole bunch of extra info for each data stager each time we expand a connection: i mean the "getting information for $FILENAME"

Yes. During fetching info we:
- list data stagers (one connection to gria service)
- get file info for every data stager (N connections to gria service)

The info of each stager can be fetched lazyly later if the user opens the properties view for instance.
Or is there anything preventing us from doing it this way?

Currently GeclipseFileStore#childNames() just call:
childStore.childInfos() and then get all names from returned IFileInfo[]

This is because in gLite we have all IFileInfos during listing catalog.

We can try to change it without losing gLite efficiency, but this need changes in GeclipseFileStore and may cause our filesystems unstable again :-(

On the other hand, if i understood the code correctly there is another "remote" operation per file needed for each "processing $FILE" step, in which we get the stager labels. I guess that is unavoidable (the cost of userfriendliness) with the current GRIA API right?

Yesterday I speed-up getting labels in "processing $FILE". In fact now we don't connect to gria-service in this phase, what cause you shouldn't notice that phase :-)

On the other hand, a feature which would be really useful i think is having different icons for owned stagers compared to stagers we can see/read but do not own... this would be a nice improvement for the not-so-rare ;-) use case of trying to edit shared files.

I agree that when many users give access to his data stagers to others users, then user will have a lot of data stagers on his list and most of them will not be interesting for him.

Maybe we should create subfolder "Other stagers" to have 2 lists: my stagers and other's stagers? Or better: many subfolders each for every foreign user.

Fundamental question is: do we have possibility to filter my data stagers and others? How efficient is it?

Mariusz Wojtysiak

Back to the top