Re: AW: [geclipse-dev] Storage vs. Service

On Monday 18 February 2008, Stuempert, Mathias IWR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I would like to point that there is also another option (Mateuzs had
> > > proposed it). We can add a filter where it removes entries while we
> > > type. For example if the user writes lfc, only the entries that have
>
> lfc
>
> > > in their name they would be shown. A mechanism similar to the one
>
> that
>
> > > the properties of eclipse have. This would make it easier for a user
> > > that knows what he is looking for to find it. It doesn't help a user
> >
> > yes, that can be implemented _additionaly_ to other restructurations,
>
> but
>
> > as you very well said, that is
> >    "for a user that knows what he is looking for" !!
> >
> > The default structure should make evident for all (ie, in particular
> > inexperienced...) users what is where!
>
> Furthermore I do not know if this is "Eclipse compliant". I never saw
> that in a view. I also do not know how easy this is to implement. And
> last but not least, assuming that it is Eclipse compliant and easy to
> implement I would not put high priority on this. If we have maybe some
> additional time in between it could be implemented.
>
> Cheers, Mathias

Eclipse compliant or not... if you compare the Grid Project View with several
other views (e.g. Package Explorer, Project Explorer), you'll see that there
*is* filtering available, but I've never seen dynamic filters à la 'search as
you type'.
So in my opinion it is a nice feature, but *if* it is introduced somewhere it
should be introduced in a more general way, i.e. on an Eclipse platform
level.

Markus

Back to the top