[geclipse-dev] Distributed Resource Management API (DRMAA)

Hi all,

During our last meeting i briefly mentioned that here in Cyprus we were looking into the possibility of developing a multi-page editor for the Operator perspective that would allow Grid operators to manage queues.

Our initial plans were to utilize the Distributed Resource Management API (DRMAA) to provide such functionality to Grid operators, but after further reviewing the API's specification we concluded that this is not possible for now. But we may update the Batch Job View to use this interface.

In any case, since DRMAA looks very interesting for g-Eclipse, here are some useful information i gathered from various resources available on the DRMAA-WG website.

DRMAA provides a generalized API to distributed resource management systems (DRMSs) in order to facilitate integration of application programs. The scope of DRMAA is limited to job submission, job monitoring and control, and retrieval of the finished job status (that's why it cannot be applied  on the aforementioned queue editor). DRMAA provides application developers and distributed resource management builders with a programming model that enables the development of distributed applications tightly coupled to an underlying DRMS.

Among many others, IBM, Intel and Sun Microsystems are actively involved in the development of the DRMAA Specification. Currently DRMAA Specification 1.0 is an OGF Recommendation. As we all know, the "Grid Recommendation" status signifies that the DRMAA is being adopted within the distributed computing community.

DRMAA is implemented and usable with the following commercial or freely available DRM systems:

   * Condor
   * *LSF*
   * Globus (over GridWay)
   * Grid Engine
   * *PBS / Torque*

It is worth mentioning that PSNC has contributed sufficient information to the PBS/Torque DRMAA 1.0 Implementation Experience Report. Furthermore, DRMAA Java Bindings are available.

More information on DRMAA can be found on:

DRMAA-WG Wiki: http://drmaa.org/wiki/

DRMAA 1.0 Grid Recommendation (GFD.22): http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.22.pdf

Nevertheless we would like to proceed with the Queue editor as this fits nicely within the scope of what WP3 where to deliver. We will look into the API of both PBS and LSF to find a common set of properties that our queue editor will manipulate. This was also a request from our site admins and they both liked the idea to have such an editor.

Best regards,

Nicholas Loulloudes
High Performance Computing Systems Laboratory (HPCL)
University of Cyprus,
Nicosia, Cyprus

Tel:  +357-22892663
Email: loulloudes.n[at]cs.ucy.ac.cy