RE: [fproj-dev] Can we setup a call to cover plans for the Faceted Project Framework project and wtp adoption issues?

Hi Chuck,

My apologies for taking so long to reply. I have been pretty swamped with other work and haven’t been able to dedicate sufficient time to this framework. We can certainly setup a meeting if one is necessary, but honestly my calendar is so chocked with meetings already that I am barely able to find time to code in between meetings. I’d like to see if we can address any questions that people might have over e-mail instead. That has added advantage of archiving the discussion for other people who might have the same questions at a later date.

I suspect that a lot of the questions would be answered by reading the transition plan [1] and the last status update message [2].

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Faceted_Project_Framework/WTP_Transition_Plan

[2] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=1018&start=0&S=d5873469d6115d4dc93f79b9ade753be

Regarding the specific questions that you posed…

> What new API/scenarios beyond the existing WTP feature will be introduced?

No major new functionality is planned for the 1.0 release. The primary goals are laying down foundation for broader appeal (thus a separate project), cleanup of the existing API and solid backwards compatibility layer for WTP.

> What areas of existing API will be affected or changed significantly?

I am assuming that you are referring to the new API rather than the backwards compatibility layer whose API signature will not change. For the new API, all items marked deprecated will be removed, also some newer API concepts (such as the working copy) will be solidified more firmly by removing some older and now redundant API. The new API will be lean and to the point without all the historical dead weight.

Some work will happen in the runtime modeling part of the API. Expect to see solidification of the runtime bridge concept. One of the problems that was never resolved by the runtime bridge is how one creates new runtimes or put another way what does the new button on the target runtimes panel do. It is currently a rather ugly hack that uses reflection to call into server tools. This hack will need to be removed. Expect to see a new runtime creation wizard that people will be able to plug wizards into easily via an extension point. The existing server tools wizard would be one of the entries in that wizard, thus maintaining continuity.

Let me know if there are further more specific questions.

- Konstantin