Re: [ercp-dev] first approach and fonts

An update on the issue. One of the PhoneME developers was so kind to
look into the problem to check if this is a eSWT or phoneME bug
(thanks Davy Preuveneers). It looks like the issue in the eRCP tracker
is in the right place.

It turnes out that in:

stringCharData = GetStringChars(env, string);
if (ExceptionCheck(env)) return ;
stringLength = GetStringLength(env, string);
uglstring = convertToNativeString(stringCharData, stringLength,
 &stringShouldFree);
error.error_code = 0;

GetStringChars is a JNI method. In that case phoneME returns a
non-null terminated pointer to a jchar array (a Unicode string). Then
convertToNativeString() transforms this jchar array into an internal
representation, but mistakenly assumes that stringCharData is
null-terminated. This method is implemented in eSWT and can be found
in:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/viewvc.cgi/org.eclipse.ercp/eswt/win/org.eclipse.ercp.swt.core.win/win-native/bindings/impl/TypeConverter.c?root=RT_Project

J9 makes sure that all Unicode strings are null-terminated and the
eSWT code relies on it. Which is why J9 doesn't have the problem.

So to summarize it seems that eSWT wrongly assumes GetStringChars
returns null-terminated strings where it should not.
Unicode strings are not \0 terminated, whereas UTF-8 strings are (and
GetStringChars uses Unicode strings)
See sectopm 3.2.4 in:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jni/html/objtypes.html

I'm going to append this to the bug report.

Best regards,
Andrea