AW: [ercp-dev] Some eRCP/eSWT Questions

Hi Georg,

I'm not a developer, but maybe I can answer some of your questions:

1) How can I develop mobile apps with eRCP in Linux?
1.1) Is there a Linux eRCP SDK or only a Windows eRCP SDK?
1.2) I saw that there is a eRCP Qt Experimental? Is this a SDK or just
runtime? And most important - how can I use it?

Just now only Windows (Desktop, Mobile, CE) is officially supported.
About the Qt-Version I don't know much, but looks like there is no
progress since September last year.

2) I suppose BlackBerry is not supported but I will ask anyway: Is it
supported?
3) What other Platforms are supported?
4) Is Symbian supported?
4.1) Which versions of it?

Nokia Series 80 was supported until version 1.0.2. That's all.

5) Could you provide me a list of all mobile devices(or at least the
major platforms) eRCP will run on?

6) What about LWUIT vs eRCP? Which is more advanced? Which is more
likely to work widely (on more platforms)

LWUIT is a UI Toolkit, eRCP is platform of OSGI standard. You just can't
compare these technologies. If you just want a portable UI take LWUIT.
If you want a framework with extension points take eRCP.
If you just compare eSWT (a part of eRCP) with LWUIT: eSWT is native
implemented, so it's only for the OSs noticed above. LWUIT based on MIDP
2.0 and CLDC 1.1, so it's OS independent (if there is a VM for this OS).

7) Is there a way to run an eRCP application on maemo platform (e.g.
Nokia N900)? This phone does not support java as I know so this should
be virtually impossible? Am I right or wrong?

For eRCP you need a Java VM CDC, for eSWT a CLDC. If there is no for
your platform, the only chance is to write a VM by your own.
In my opinion eRCP is not made for mobiles. Maybe for smartphones,
better on pads or stronger mobile devices.

Greetings,
Benjamin Fiebig

Back to the top