[ercp-dev] Linux x86 SWT Qt port...

Hello, I have some questions about the Linux x86 SWT Qt port that the eRCP project is providing. I downloaded the early access build last night and tinkered around with it.
http://www.eclipse.org/ercp/downloads-page.html

It didn't seem very aesthetically pleasing but I think that's because I don't have any Qt themes (I don't use KDE). :P Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised by how far it is. Great work! I got a VM crash at one point and I'll try to file a bug later if I can reproduce it.

1. How many .so libraries are there? I tried copying it to my workspace where I have the code checked out from CVS but it was unable to load methods like JniUtils_new (or whatever it's called, I don't have the code in front of me at the moment). Are the libraries included in the 20090909 build already "old" compared to what's in CVS right now?

2. How do I actually build the x86 port? I couldn't find any Makefiles or .mak files, which the desktop SWT implementations seems to use, unless I was looking in the wrong places. I did see some .pri files though it was not clear to me what those are. Is that for processing by another build system? qmake, perhaps?

3. I noticed in your Control's computeSize(int, int, boolean) implementation that you invoke the sizeHint() method on a QWidget. Are you actually setting QLayouts on the widgets? What kind of layout? I could not seem to find any places in the code where a layout is actually set except in a few cases (like for the menu bar I think). I have tried using similar code in my SWT Qt experiments but I seem to be getting sizes of zeroes, which I presume is because I don't have a QLayout set. It could be that I'm just doing something wrong as I am not familiar with C++.
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qwidget.html#sizeHint-prop

At the moment, I have used the SWT JNI generator to generate some bits of code though there are handwritten components here and there like the QObject I had to create for installation as an event filter. Right now, I've barely managed to get a shell opened with a display processing events with the event filter passing back Qt events to the Java side. This isn't much but has been a great learning experience.

I would be interested in helping generalize the Qt port for usage on x86 Linux systems in addition to swapping out some/most of the handwritten JNI code to generated code by the SWT generator.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Remy

Remy Suen
Rational Team Concert Developer, Eclipse Platform/UI Committer
IBM Ottawa
613-356-5162

Back to the top