[equinox-dev] How does Equinox infer systemCapabilities without .profile files?

Hi all,

I've been deep into Tycho these days, and we managed recently to stop hardcoding the system.packages in .profile files, that's a good thing!
However, we still need those profile files for newer Java versions (JavaSE-14 and so on) because they are storing the system capabilities (eg osgi.ee: JavaSE/14.0.0). I see Equinox doesn't use those profile files at all nowadays for newer Java versions, so I imagine there is a way to dynamically get those system capabilities, and Tycho should just try to use the same strategie instead of hardcoding them. I tried to find where in the code this "inference" of system capabilities is done but didn't spot where the magic happens.
Can someone please give me a hint about where to find the code that does that?
Thanks in advance!

--
Mickael Istria