Re: [equinox-dev] [p2] How to use director/mirror app against an RCP as p2 repo

On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 12:33 +0000, Carsten Reckord wrote:
> In the IDE, this works directly: In "Install new software", you can use the P2 profile directory inside of another Eclipse installation as your repository location and install from there. E.g. <eclipse>/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/SDKProfile.profile
> I'm not sure how the director/mirror app handle this - they seem to be more picky and have fewer heuristics. So I could imagine that in order to get it to work, you might need to specify artifact and metadata repositories separately. In that case, I would assume that the profile directory should work as the metadata repo, while the Eclipse installation directory (or your bundle pool location) would be your artifact repo. This is all guess work though, and I didn't try it myself.

If this is the case, then I would guess there should be an
IArtifactRepository implementation for an installation directory, or
simply some artifact repository that is "close enough" to handle the
format since it's not that different. I know that a profile .tar.gz
file can be parsed by some metadata repo implementation so there should
also be enough info in there to reconstruct where the files are
located.

For Fedora (https://github.com/rgrunber/fedoraproject-p2), we needed to
supply plain directories as part of the target platform that may or may
not have osgi bundles, but aren't p2 repositories, so we ended up
creating our own I{Metadata,Artifact}Repository implementations but
that's a little more generic than what you need.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top