Re: [equinox-dev] Maven snapshot repository available ?

Hello Stephan, hope I have understood your question...

On 11/04/2017 11:26, Stephan Herrmann wrote:

In particular: if someone references a repo with
how exactly must a snapshot be marked in order to remain invisible?
if you set the repository as false it won't be considered by maven in order to looking for remote artfacts/bundles. but maven can still use already downloaded ones.

Consider a company repository manager standing between you and
the outside, i.e., you can't directly turn on/off your connection
to OSSRH snapshots, but need to excluded snapshots in a given build.
if you have Nexus OSS free(https://www.sonatype.com/download-oss-sonatype), you can start and stop a snapshot that is exposed to the world or internal network.

and if we use thirty-part snapshot repo or p2 bundles, what I normally used to do at dev time (briefly) are:
  • Download the bundles from the http links provided by Eclipse and create a local maven repository and point nexus to it (the most boring part);
  • create a new branch in our releng project in git where I will change the FPOM ( a fragment POM with only dependencyManagement and version that I want to work). Normally I declare every dependency, including transitive ones.  Then I install those fpom in maven snapshot repo;
  • create a branch for consumer projects and change every multi-project root pom that imports fpom to use the snapshot and consequently all hierarchy below it will have the right versions ( I use versions plugin for that):
   <dependencyManagement>
        <dependencies>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>com.c8tech.releng.maven</groupId>
                <artifactId>com.c8tech-maven-fpom-node-equinox</artifactId>
                <version>${com.c8tech.releng.version}</version>
                <scope>import</scope>
                <type>pom</type>
            </dependency>
        </dependencies>
    </dependencyManagement>

  • Also in the releng project I do change the settings.xml that is being used by Jenkins and local machines. There, I include and enable the snapshot repositories and disable the release ones. Note that I also set the updatePolicy to never, just to avoid download newer version and to pollute my local repo, but that can be bypassed by using -U option:

<profiles>
    <profile>
      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id>C8TechSnapshots</id>
          <name>C8Tech Snapshots</name>
          <releases>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
          </releases>
          <snapshots>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
            <updatePolicy>never</updatePolicy>
            <checksumPolicy>fail</checksumPolicy>
          </snapshots>
          <url>http://192.168.19.2/maven2/snapshots</url>
          <layout>default</layout>
        </repository>
      </repositories>

  • At Jenkins, I can create different jobs for each development branch combination;
  • After release I can clean or delete the snapshot repositories that I have created.

Using jenkins is easier because you can set a clean local repository for each job while at local machine, sometimes, you need to delete some downloaded resources in order to avoid the issues related to semantic versions that you have referred.

best regards,

Cristiano

In that repo I see artifacts like this:

https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/eclipse/tycho/org.eclipse.jdt.core/3.10.0.v20140528-1959-SNAPSHOT/org.eclipse.jdt.core-3.10.0.v20140528-1959-20140625.081446-8.jar

which exhibits two variants of the version: directory mentions SNAPSHOT,
artifact expands that to a time stamp. Is this artifact enabled/disabled
by the <snapshots> element? If so, then this could help avoid the problem
I mentioned in my first mail.

The first variation that you see is the directory. inside that directory you can have one or more different timestamped versions. what defines which one is the latest is the https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/eclipse/tycho/org.eclipse.jdt.core/3.10.0.v20140528-1959-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml file.

Back to the top