Re: [equinox-dev] appending reference to url passed toBundleContext.installBundle

Understood your point about the catch.

One more problem I am facing is that even when this part of code is executed second time. Let's say after launching the application for the second time it is still taking the same time when not using reference.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Thomas Watson
<tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would expect a performance improvement in that case because you avoid having to do the extra disk IO to read and copy the content of the 700 jars to the internal framework storage.  But there is a catch.  The framework assumes that the code that is doing the installation of the bundles with 'reference' scheme is controlling the content of the bundle such that it will not dynamically change (get overwritten with new content or deleted) without either doing an update call (in the case where you override the file) or an uninstallation call in case you are going to delete the file.  Unspecified behavior will occur if you change or remove the content of a bundle file that the framework is actively loading out of.

Tom

----- Original message -----
From: Yash Bagadia <bagadia.yash@xxxxxxxx>
To: Thomas Watson/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, "equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [equinox-dev] appending reference to url passed toBundleContext.installBundle
Date: Tue, Feb 7, 2017 10:49 AM

Hi Thomas,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Actually I am dealing a performance issue with some custom bundle loading/installing code.

So with 'reference' install i am getting a huge performance improvement. So is it the case? or its just that I am dealing with a badly written code :|

I have some 700 jars in a folder that and its not fixed can be added/removed by the user. The code is written as such it will loop over the list of jars present in the directory. Install the bundle one by one. If the bundle already loaded then it is uninstalled.

Currently, 'reference' is not used. But with 'reference' I got a huge performance improvement. Is it expected?

Regards, Yash Bagadia