Re: [equinox-dev] Thousands of exceptions during boot, yet application is running - harmless or symptom of issues which should be solved?

Moving discussion over to forum:   https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=1744897#msg_1744897

Tom

From:        Michal Siemaszko <michal.siemaszko@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        10/03/2016 09:09 AM
Subject:        Re: [equinox-dev] Thousands of exceptions during boot, yet application is running - harmless or symptom of issues which should be solved?
Sent by:        equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

I really was not trying hard to find problems, the only reason I hit these is because I need to debug remaining issues which prevent upgraded version of said application from running. The only tools (that I know of) at my disposal are breakpoints and osgi.debug; my reasoning was (and still is) that the underlying cause of these can be caught by looking at these, since by the time logging layer is initialized, only symptoms are visible. I did start with setting breakpoints in 'org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader' (in catch blocks of #loadClass and #getResource methods), but then started hitting those existing exceptions by the thousands, then when osgi.debug was enabled all these stack traces were dumped to text file and are being analyzed.

I see many of the stack traces (visible only in osgi.debug, or when hitting bps in DefaultClassLoader) then manifest as actual failures visible once logging layer kicks in (same classes, etc.)

Since file generated from osgi.debug is over 60 MB and there are over 3300 exceptions, sharing these is not really possible at this point.

Are there any other settings in osgi.debug or config.ini that could be turned on (many of these are not documented/hard to come across) that could help in properly diagnosing these issues?

Regards,
Michal

Re: [equinox-dev] Thousands of exceptions during boot, yet application is running - harmless or symptom of issues which should be solved?

It is hard to tell if the exceptions are issues to be concerned about without having one as an example.  It is possible that enabling debug is just printing out some benign exception that is otherwise ignored by the system and not logged.

Yes Equinox should easily handle 1000s of bundles being installed.  There are many Eclipse based products that do just that.

Tom