From:        Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        02/03/2016 01:31 PM
Subject:        [equinox-dev] osgi application service
Sent by:        equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Equinox implements the osgi application service
(org.osgi.service.application) via this bundle:

org.eclipse.equinox.app

This bundle has compile-time dependencies on both the equinox service
registry (org.eclipse.equinox.registry), and PackageAdmin which for some
environments are a disadvantage.  The org.osgi.service.application
package is also present in the same bundle as the implementation, which
is a debatable choice.

Would there be any appetite to refactor the org.eclipse.equinox.app
bundle (perhaps into multiple dependent bundles) so as to:

1) Separate the impl of org.osgi.service.application from the parts that
are dependent upon the equinox service registry (so as to allow use of
the application service without the service registry)
2) Remove deps to PackageAdmin service
3) Possibly separating the org.osgi.service.application classes from the
equinox impl.

?

Scott