If you think debug/bundleTime should use nano-seconds then a separate bug is appropriate.  Although I would be surprised if the previous timings recorded in Kepler used nano-seconds, so I am not sure why this timing is useless compared to the timings you could gather before.

Overall: I am not keen on adding any of this back by default directly in the framework implementation.  It all should be done on top in order to keep the internals of the framework more simple.

Tom

Inactive hide details for "Oberhuber, Martin" ---07/14/2014 12:26:15 PM---Dear Equinox Committers, As we've been upgrading our "Oberhuber, Martin" ---07/14/2014 12:26:15 PM---Dear Equinox Committers, As we've been upgrading our eclipse-based product to Luna, I wanted to vali

From: "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/14/2014 12:26 PM
Subject: [equinox-dev] How to measure and improve Eclipse 4.4 Statup Performance ?

Dear Equinox Committers,

As weâve been upgrading our eclipse-based product to Luna, I wanted to validate that our startup performance is still good:

In the past, all that was possible using âdebug org.eclipse.osgi tracing options, plus Core Tools runtime spy. But it looks like ALL of the infrastructure is now broken in Luna:

Reading the docs, I found a reference to the newly introduced debug/bundleTime tracing option, but Iâm unsure how to interpret the data; it also seems to be very inexact and thus useless to me (getting nanosecond resolution would be good
when available).

Is there any new infrastructure available to get me the data I need ?
How do others measure and improve startup performance ?
Shall I just file defects for the regressions observed ?

Thanks,
Martin
--
Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner â Development Tools, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6