Re: [equinox-dev] TrustEngine and other security services

If you need an example that is publicly available, the Apache Directory Studio plugin is signed with an Apache certificate that shows up as untrusted when I attempt to install it:

On Eclipse 4.2, the pop-up window asking to trust easily gets hidden and can't be called back again, which means that the installation of that (and anything else in the same provisioning operation) fails.

Alex

On 3 Jan 2013, at 14:55, John Arthorne wrote:

I really don't remember the details here. I suspect once we got all Eclipse projects signing with a real cert verified by an authority trusted by the JVM, this wasn't a big issue for us. In the end, asking an end user to make a trust decision on a self-signed or unverified cert is silly anyway. There is no way an end user could make an informed trust decision based on that information, and if we did persist the decision, it would essentially be "I know it's not trusted but please stop asking me". It looks like KeyStoreTrustEngine registered by the framework is capable of persisting changes though, if the system is configured properly. If Scott or anyone else is interested in the trust persistence aspect I suggest opening a bug and we go from there.

John

From:        Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        01/02/2013 10:20 AM
Subject:        Re: [equinox-dev] TrustEngine and other security services
Sent by:        equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks John,

I see that the code you mention does use a TrustEngine to attempt to persist newly trusted certificates.  But I wonder if there are any implementations of the TrustEngine service that are not read-only.  The framework registers a built-in TrustEngine that is backed by the CA certs that are configured with the VM but this TrustEngine is read-only.

Tom

<Mail Attachment.gif>John Arthorne ---01/02/2013 08:43:48 AM---p2 uses the TrustEngine to persist newly trusted certificates after  prompting the user. See org.ecl

Re: [equinox-dev] TrustEngine and other security services
Sent by:
equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

p2 uses the TrustEngine to persist newly trusted certificates after prompting the user. See
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CertificateChecker.

http://git.eclipse.org/c/equinox/rt.equinox.p2.git/tree/bundles/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/src/org/eclipse/equinox/internal/p2/engine/phases/CertificateChecker.java

John