Re: [equinox-dev] Java8 and JavaFX8

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the insight into this. It's exactly this kind of information
we need to assemble to find a way to solve the problems we'll all face
with once JavaFX8 is shipped.

My believe is that Oracle will not ship OSGi enabled JavaFX-jars and I
think the decision to ship as part of the JRE/JDK is already made.

If I get you right equinox isn't following the other OSGi spec when only
consulting the bootcloader for the system bundle? Tom what is the reason
for that? Could equinox by default consult the extension classloader?

Tom

Am 06.11.12 22:42, schrieb Neil Bartlett:
> Tom,
>
> I should point out that from a "pure" OSGi point of view, it should be
> no issue for these libraries to be part of the extension path. It's up
> to the launcher code that creates the OSGi framework to choose which
> packages should be exported from the system bundle. Ordinarily the
> launcher has visibility of all classes on the boot, extension and
> application classloaders.
>
> In other words, it's an Eclipse-ism for the system bundle to only have
> visibility of the boot classloader, and for there to be no way to expose
> libraries from the extension classloader short of modifying the Eclipse
> configuration.
>
> Naturally I would much prefer if JavaFX was delivered as ordinary JAR
> files (or even as OSGi bundles, now wouldn't THAT be nice...) rather
> than having to be on the extension classloader! However it would be
> inaccurate to say to Oracle that they're  "breaking OSGi", when they're
> really just breaking the way Eclipse uses OSGi.
>
> Thanks,
> Neil
>

>> Tom Schindl <mailto:tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> 6 November 2012 20:55
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> myself, Steve and others are currently discussing in a mail-thread and
>> I'm trying to find a way through the jungle ;-) There's no decision (at
>> least what an outsider knows) yet the first the idea was to put it on
>> the bootclasspath, now it is lib/ext.
>>
>> I've just started exploring today what lib/ext would mean to us (OSGi
>> users) and found out that it will cause us more trouble I first thought
>> it would. Before we (Equinox and maybe broader OSGi community) - looks
>> like I'm one of the few who cares about that - have understood the
>> problems and how we can address them I don't want to go on the openjfx
>> list.
>>
>> I hope to isolate the problem and actions we'll have to take for a)
>> (bootclasspath) or b) (extclasspath). Naturally we can live better with
>> a) but going to Oracle saying that they have to do a) to not break OSGi
>> and later on someone steps up saying that b) would have been possible is
>> not good - this naturally pretends that a) can be done which is probably
>> beyond javafx' influence.
>>
>> I'm not sure who is in charge of the javafx into jre classpath
>> integration which would certainly help to get us all together and having
>> a defined timeline when we can expect it to happen, so that we can give
>> feedback on ea builds.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> Mike Milinkovich <mailto:mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> 6 November 2012 20:34
>> Tom,
>>
>> Just curious - have you reported this as a bug at openjfx.org? There
>> should be time for Oracle to fix their packaging for 2013, no?
>>

>> Mike Milinkovich
>> mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> +1.613.220.3223

>>> osgi.frameworkParentClassloaderr option at