Re: [equinox-dev] OSGi security manager in Equinox

The equinox launcher is what I had in mind.
I've opened a bug to track that enhancement.

Thanks for your help,
Borislav

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Which launcher are you interested in particular?

There is the standard OSGi launching API (org.osgi.framework.launch) which
Equinox implements with the org.eclipse.osgi.launch.EquinoxFactory class.
This API is meant to be used by a launcher implementation as a standard way
of constructing and initializing an OSGi Framework instance.  In my view it
would not be correct to add anything to the standard OSGi launching API
implementation for auto configuring permissions.  This should be left in
the hands of the code that invokes the standard OSGi launching API.  So if
you are using the standard OSGi launching API to launch Equinox I think you
should place your logic for setting permissions in your own code which is
constructing the Framework instance.

There is also the equinox launcher (implemented with the
org.eclipse.equinox.launcher jar).  This jar is used by the native
eclipse.exe launcher to startup the typical eclipse installation (IDE, RCP
etc.).  This jar ends up using the eclipse specific launching class
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.  We could consider adding
an option to this launch path to setup the initial permissions.  If this is
what you are interested in then please open a bug.

Tom

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
 |12/08/2011 11:28 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
 |Re: [equinox-dev] OSGi security manager in Equinox                                                                                                |

Thanks for the clarification. I was really hoping this could be achieved
with a standard launcher.
Do you feel it would be beneficial to users if the equinox.launcher could
optionally configure the [Conditional]PermissionAdmin with specified
permissions?
I'm willing to contribute :)

Best Regards
Borislav