Re: [equinox-dev] Regarding Lazy Activation

Hello,

Hi Neil could u please elaborate... it will be really helpful for beginner like me..

Hi Simon Archer... :-)  Thanks for the link .... I will look into it...

Regards
Ajinkya

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Neil Bartlett <njbartlett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Answer inline below...

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM, ajinkya prabhune
<ajinkya.prabhune@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Super help from both of u. I am now gng through the articles and seeing how
> it works...
>
> Yes I am trying to use a Service declared in A bundle --- to use in B
> bundle...
>
> Can I make the A Bundle As Lazy so that when B bundle ask for service in A
> ... the A bundles gets Active and Registers the Service
> will this work ?

No, this is not what "lazy activation" in OSGi is for. It has nothing
to do with services.

Declarative Services provides the right kind of laziness. If you
define a component in B that has a mandatory reference (i.e.
cardinality 1..1 or 1..n) to the service published from A, then it
will only create the component when the service becomes available,
which would be after A is activated.

In most cases the "lazy activation policy" is not required and is IMHO
an annoying distraction. All you really need is the following:

1) Create a DS component and declare it with a component.xml file
2) Do NOT create a BundleActivator... you don't need it when using DS.
3) Start both bundles A and B, in any order.

Cheers,
Neil