Re: [equinox-dev] Eclipse ViewPart and OSGI Declarative Services problem

Hi Richard,

This is a rather challenging area, because the lifecycles of services
and extensions are completely unrelated. As you've noticed, creating a
component with DS does not mean it will be used by the extension
registry. Indeed it cannot be, because the extension registry is more
like a factory where new instances are created each time they are
needed.

I created a small framework to help with this kind of thing:
http://github.com/njbartlett/extensions2services. Please be sure to
read the manual (in PDF), because it helps to describe the background
of the problem, even if you decide not to adopt my solution.

Other possible solutions, which all use or include a
dependency-injection approach, are as follows:

1) Eclipse Riena -- however Riena does a lot of other stuff that I
don't really understand
2) Peaberry is based on Guice
3) Eclipse 4.0 ("e4") uses dependency injection everywhere, but this
is not much use to you if you are using 3.x.

Regards,
Neil