Re: [equinox-dev] Generated configuration file overwrites specified properties

We have a different model of building and installing the product. We do not use ant nor the Eclipse environment to build the product. For installing required items, we do not depend on Eclipse.

Our (GUI) product -part of a complete C Compiler toolchain- is build on top of Eclipse and CDT. The plugins are build from the command line, using the java compiler and the jar program. The complete Compiler product is installed using install shield. All plugins, including CDT and Eclipse platform plugins, are installed at installation time in the plugins directory, no need for downloading or updating. We ship a feature.xml file in the features/myproduct directory, that sums up all self developed plugins. Furtermore we supply an eclipse.ini and the config.ini, the one I mentioned earlier, in the configuration directory. These files are not generated, but put together manually. That is basically all. Until now it was not necessary to create p2 metadata (and admittedly, we did not investigate the p2 mechanism very thorough yet), so we have no metadata available for our product, just the feature.xml.

I want to avoid that the configuration settings are regenerated, and that the org.eclipse.platform.ide product is used. If I have the p2 metadata available, than this problem would be solved, right?

(FYI: the examples you are referring to, do not build anymore.)

Thanks,
Richard

Andrew Niefer wrote:

How did you build this product?
The metadata for the product generally specifies the settings for these properties.

Here it looks like you are getting the settings that are specified by the org.eclipse.platform.ide product. Are you just taking the platform.ide and copying your stuff over top of it? It sounds like the p2 metadata just has the platform.ide settings, on first start p2 discovers the bundles you copied on top of everything reconciles the install for you, this would cause the configuration settings to be regenerated.

I would suggest taking a look at these two examples I wrote last year:
http://aniefer.blogspot.com/2009/07/composing-and-updating-custom-eclipse.html
http://aniefer.blogspot.com/2009/07/adt-part-2-more-like-epp.html

It is probably simplest to build things as described in the second post (ADT part 2: More like the EPP), though it would be good to read the first post as well. They both contain references to examples in cvs that you can download and run.

-Andrew